Thursday, December 6, 2007

Pony Play in SL

One of my favorite sex bloggers, Violet Blue, posted a link today about an article from the Second Life Herald discussing 'pony play' in Second Life. I've done a previous blog post about a ponygirl that I'd talked to and her viewpoints about what she enjoys and why.

What I found most interesting in this article were really the comments. There are times that I really think some people were put on this earth to criticize or judge other people and I just don't get that. There are plenty of things in this world that I just don't "get", but I really make every effort to not judge someone else for liking something that I don't understand. Who am I to think that I know everything there is to know about every fetish in the world? I'd be pretty damned arrogant to think so, or to think that I was in any position to made judgements about the people that are involved in those things.

As a fairly successful woman, I can completely understand why some women enjoy roleplaying these sorts of 'characters'. More and more women are in real-life roles requiring that they make important decisions, multi-task, and take care of any number of responsibilities during the course of any day. If a virtual world gives these women the opportunity to forget about all of those things, let someone else be in control for a while, and let go of everything they have to think about, then I have no trouble seeing how that might be very appealing to some people.

So here's the thing... can we please stop judging everyone for being into something that we don't 'get' or that we might think is wrong. We do *not* know everything (as much as we'd all like to think we do) and we cannot possibly understand how someone else feels or what someone else might need or desire in their life. Second Life is not the only place that these things are taking place, it's happening quite often in real-life too, but we're not in a position to pull up an interface in RL and type 'pony play' in a search field to see what our options might be.

Maybe if we could we'd all be a little bit more tolerant.

-xopixox

1 comment:

Roisin Hotaling said...

I had never heard of pony play until I read this, and while it doesn't appeal to me, I wouldn't *dream* of criticizing anyone who participates in this or in any other "non-mainstream" form of role play.
Not too many months ago, I didn't think I could become sexually involved in SL at all, and even more recently didn't think I could carry on more than one such liaison at a time. You never know what sorts of things you might find exciting or enjoyable, given the exposure to them.